- 2 medium eggplants, about 1 1/2 to 2 pounds
- 2 large tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, cut in 4 wedges
- 6 medium cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf marjoram or basil
- 1 quart chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
Cut each of the tomatoes into 4 wedges.
Cut eggplant into 4 wedges, lengthwise.
In a large food storage bag or bowl, toss the tomato wedges, eggplant slices, onion wedges, and garlic with olive oil. Spread the vegetables in the baking pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour, turning once or twice, or until the vegetables are tender and browned.
Scoop eggplant into a large saucepan; discard peel. Put remaining roasted vegetables in the saucepan along with the marjoram or basil, chicken broth, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and cover; simmer for 45 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are very soft. Remove from heat and let stand for 15 minutes.
Blend the eggplant and chicken broth mixture in 4 batches until pureed. Return the pureed mixture to the large saucepan and stir in cream. Heat until it begins to simmer. Add more chicken broth if the mixture is too thick. Taste and add salt and pepper. Spoon into bowls and sprinkle with a little chopped parsley, if desired.
Serves 4 to 6.