- 1 cup self-rising white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk, more or less
- 1 to 2 tablespoons green onion, minced
- dash hot pepper sauce (optional)
- pepper or garlic powder, if desired
Reviews for this section have been closed.
I also tried the recipe above. We have a 'soul food' cook-off at work every Feb. so decided on deep-frying some hush puppies right on the table for a great presentation as well. I too added bacon grease but took it a step farther - after frying up all the bacon, I crumbled the bacon up & added that to the batter. What a hit. The Cajun Queens - as we dubbed ourselves - won 1st place.
16 out of 17 people found this helpful.