- homemade or refrigerated pastry for a double crust 9-inch pie
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant, or quick-cooking tapioca
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 cups sliced (1/2-inch thick slices) rhubarb
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1 tablespoon cold butter, cut in several small pieces
In a large bowl combine the sugar, tapioca, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir in the sliced rhubarb and strawberries until well blended. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes.
Heat oven to 400° F.
Spoon the fruit mixture into the prepared pie crust. Top with the remaining pastry and trim the edge. Crimp bottom and top edges together and cut several slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
Bake for 20 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350° and bake for 30 to 40 minutes longer, or until the strawberry rhubarb pie is nicely browned and filling is bubbly.
Cool on a rack. Serve the strawberry rhubarb pie warm or completely cooled, with a scoop of ice cream or whipped cream.