- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean beef or veal steaks, about 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, cut into 4 wedges, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped sweet bell pepper, red and green
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 4 to 5 cups hot cooked grits
Sauté the onion, celery, and pepper in the same pan until tender. Add garlic and stir well. Push the vegetables to one side of the pan. Add the additional bacon drippings or oil and stir in the 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir the mixture well and cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is medium brown in color. Add the beef broth; stir until smooth.
Return the meat to the pan and pour tomatoes over meat. Sprinkle with the thyme, basil, red pepper, and a little Tabasco or pepper sauce. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until tender, about 40 to 60 minutes, or until meat is tender. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed; stir in the fresh chopped parsley. Serve grillades with hot buttered grits.
Serves 6 to 8.