- 1 pound extra lean ground beef
- 12 to 16 ounces ground pork
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons diced jalapeno pepper, optional
- 1 can (4 ounces) mild chopped chile peppers
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) chili-seasoned diced tomatoes*
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chili powder blend
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce or other hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Shredded cheddar cheese, optional
In a large deep skillet or saucepan over medium heat, brown ground beef and pork with chopped onion, breaking the meat up with a spatula and turning frequently. Add the garlic and jalapeno peppers, if using. Cook, stirring for 1 minute longer. Add the chopped chile peppers, diced tomatoes with juice, chili powder, hot sauce, and vinegar. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper, as desired.
Serve with hot baked cornbread or corn chips and sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese, if desired.
Serves 6 to 8.