- 1 1/2 pounds ground sirloin or extra lean ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small can (4 ounces) chopped mild green chile peppers
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder or more chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon leaf oregano
- dash chipotle chile powder, optional
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- salt and pepper, to taste
Serve with cornbread or Savory Corn Waffles (pictured).
Serves 6 to 8.