Yield: Serves 6.
- 1 pie shell, frozen or homemade, unbaked
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon steak seasoning or burger seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup plain fine bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard or a favorite gourmet mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend or a Cheddar/American blend
- sliced tomatoes, optional
Brown the ground beef with onion in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, steak seasoning, salt, pepper, and bread crumbs. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
In a medium bowl whisk eggs with the mustard, ketchup, and Worcestershire sauce. Stir in chopped dill pickle, if using. Stir into the cooled ground beef mixture. Stir in about 1/2 cup of the cheese. Pack into the pie shell and bake for 30 minutes. Top with the sliced tomatoes, if desired, then top with remaining shredded cheese and bake for 5 to 10 minutes longer, until cheese is melted and crust is nicely browned.