These flavorful cabbage rolls are delicious with mashed potatoes.
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 to 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup instant rice or cooked rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided (more or less, to taste)
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) tomato soup, undiluted
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes
Tear the leaves off the cabbage and cook in boiling water or steam until wilted enough to be flexible.
Cool. Mix ground beef, rice, egg, onion, and salt, pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon together. Form a few tablespoons of the mixture into a cylinder, then roll up in a cabbage leaf. Secure rolls with toothpicks. Combine the soup and tomatoes in a Dutch oven. Place cabbage rolls in the Dutch oven. Sprinkle with about 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Hungarian-Style Cabbage Rolls
Cabbage Rolls with Ground Beef and Cheese