- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 can (10 1/2 ounces) condensed beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 can (14.5 oz) tomatoes, diced
- 1 envelope dry onion soup mix
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery with leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 bay leaf
In a medium bowl combine ground beef, beaten egg, bread crumbs, salt, and parsley flakes. Gently stir until mixture is well mixed. Shape meat mixture into 18 to 24 meatballs.
In a Dutch oven over medium heat, melt margarine. Add meatballs in single-layer batches and brown on all sides; drain meatballs and refrigerate while preparing soup. Drain off fat in Dutch oven; add beef broth, 2 cups water, tomatoes, onion soup mix, sliced carrots and celery, parsley, pepper, oregano, basil, and bay leaf. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add meatballs; cover and simmer meatball soup 20 to 25 minutes longer.
Meatball soup serves 4 to 6.