Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 1 1/2 cups crabmeat
- 2 pounds shrimp, in shells
- 3 quarts water
- 2 small bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 small onion, cut in wedges
- salt and black pepper
- 2 pounds okra, sliced
- 4 tablespoons bacon grease, divided, or use butter or duck fat
- 4 tomatoes, peeled & chopped
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green peppers, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 4 tablespoons brown roux (see recipes, below)
- reserved shrimp stock
- salt, pepper, thyme, parsley, to taste
- hot cooked rice
Saute okra in 2 tablespoons bacon grease or butter in large heavy skillet.
When okra is soft, transfer to a stew pot and add tomatoes. Stir and mix together well. Clean skillet and heat remaining 2 tablespoons bacon grease. Sauté the chopped onion, green pepper, and red pepper until softened; add to the stew pot.
In a saucepan, warm the roux; strain shrimp stock and stir into the roux. When well-blended, add to the large stew pot with the other
ingredients. Bring to a boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours, adding more strained stock if needed. Taste and add salt, pepper, thyme, and parsley to taste. Simmer for 1 to 2 hours longer; add the reserved shrimp and crab meat
and cook for 15 minutes longer.
Serve with hot boiled rice in wide bowls.
Serves 6 to 8.
Microwave Roux Recipe
Oven Roux Recipe
Slow Cooker Chicken Gumbo Recipe
Sausage and Shrimp Gumbo
Classic Chicken Gumbo
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo With Tomatoes