- 1 medium chicken, cut up, chicken breasts cut in half crosswise (10 pieces of chicken)
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- garlic powder
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped celery
- 2 cups coarsely chopped green pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fresh garlic, minced
- 1 pound andouille sausage diced, or another smoked sausage such as Kielbasa
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
In a large skillet, brown chicken in very hot oil, remove chicken from the oil and set aside. Stir oil remaining in the skillet with a wire whisk to loosen any brown bits remaining in the bottom of the pan. Whisk in 1 cup of the remaining flour and whisk constantly over medium heat until the roux becomes dark brown. Be sure to stir constantly and do not let this mixture burn. It will probably take from 15 to 25 minutes. Remove from heat; add onions, celery and green bell pepper. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender.
Transfer roux and vegetables to a large heavy saucepan. Add stock to roux
and vegetables and bring to a boil, stirring. Lower heat to a quick simmer
and add garlic, sausage and chicken. Continue cooking, covered, until the
chicken is tender, 1 3/4 to 2 hours.
Adjust seasonings and serve in bowls over the rice.