A chicken gumbo recipe with corn and brown rice, along with okra, carrots, peppers, and other seasonings and ingredients.
- 3 pounds chicken pieces, skinned
- 4 cups water
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup brown rice, or hot cooked white rice
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 10 ounces frozen sliced okra
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 3 medium carrots, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes
Cover chicken with water and broth. Bring to a boil; simmer 20 minutes. Turn off heat. Remove chicken pieces from broth. When chicken can be handled, remove meat from bones and dice. Skim fat from broth. Return diced chicken to the broth. Add remaining ingredients; simmer until rice is cooked and vegetables are tender, about 1 hour.
If desired, thicken broth with a smooth paste made from 3 tablespoons cold water mixed with 2 tablespoons cornstarch or flour. Serve with hot cornbread.
Serves 6 to 8.
Classic Chicken Gumbo
Chicken and Sausage Gumbo With Tomatoes
Basic Seafood Gumbo
Shrimp and Andouille Sausage Gumbo