Large Photo of Gumbo
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours
- 1 pound sliced andouille sausage or other smoked sausage
- 2 to 3 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup Canola oil or olive oil
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 yellow or green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen thawed okra slices
- 1 teaspoon Creole or Cajun seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 pound medium shrimp
- salt and pepper, to taste
- hot boiled rice
- chopped fresh parsley or sliced green onions for garnish
In a large kettle or Dutch oven, combine the chicken broth and tomatoes. Put over medium heat.
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, combine the 1/2 cup of oil and the flour. Cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is medium to deep brown. Don't let the mixture burn. Add the chopped onion, celery, and bell pepper and cook, stirring constantly with a spoon, until vegetables are softened. Stir the vegetable mixture into the simmering broth mixture.
Put the skillet back on the heat and add 2 teaspoons of oil; reduce to medium. Add the okra and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and not ropy/sticky.
Add the okra to the pot along with the Creole or Cajun seasoning, the bay leaf, and cooked sausage. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat for 1 hour. Add the shrimp and cook for 15 to 20 minutes longer, until shrimp is cooked. Taste and add salt and pepper, to taste.
Serve the gumbo over hot boiled long-grain white rice. Sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley or green onions.