This jack-o-lantern cheese ball will add some fun and seasonal color to your Halloween party appetizers. Use a little apricot or pineapple preserves in the mixture, or use a hot pepper jelly. The cheese ball is lightly spiced. Add extra orange color, if you like.
Practice with your mouth, nose, and eyes before attaching them. Make your pumpkin look happy or scary.
Prep Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup apricot preserves or hot pepper jelly
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- orange food coloring, about 1/2 teaspoon, or as desired
- 1 thick pretzel rod, about a 2-inch piece
- thin slice dark rye bread or crust of rye or pumpernickel
- red pepper
- 2 pitted whole black olives, sliced lengthwise
Combine Cheddar and cream cheeses, pumpkin, preserves or pepper jelly, and spices in medium bowl; beat until smooth. Add orange food coloring. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours, until cheese mixture is firm enough to shape. Lightly moisten hands and shape the chilled mixture into a round pumpkin. Place on serving plate. Place the piece of pretzel rod in top for stem. Using a knife, cut shallow vertical lines from stem to bottom to mimic the lines on a pumpkin. Cut rye bread or crusts into triangles for eyes, cut red pepper into triangle , for nose, and cut olives in half to make the mouth.
Double the cheese ball ingredients for a larger pumpkin.
Serve with assorted crackers.