- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or mini ziti
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 large green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 package (1 ounce) taco seasoning
- 1 can (about 10 1/2 ounces) nacho cheese soup
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend of cheeses, such as Cheddar Jack
Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 2 1/2 to 3-quart baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, stirring and breaking up, with the onion until onion is softened. Add the bell pepper and continue cooking, stirring, until beef is no longer pink. Add the garlic and taco seasoning and cook for 1 minute longer. Add soup, tomato paste, diced tomatoes, and half of the cheese. Cook, stirring, until blended and bubbly. Add the drained macaroni and spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the casserole is bubbly and cheese topping has melted.
Note: If you cover and refrigerate earlier in the day, allow more time for warming the casserole.
Serves 6 to 8.