Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 6 medium flour tortillas, soft taco size
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound chorizo sausage, casings removed, or more ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped jalapeno peppers, optional
- 1 package (1 ounce) burrito seasoning
- 1 can (approx. 15 ounces) refried beans
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, optional
- 6 ounces shredded mild Cheddar cheese or blend of Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheeses
Slice tortillas into strips about 1 1/2 to 2 inches wide. Arrange half of the strips in the bottom of the baking dish. Set the remaining strips aside.
In a large skillet, brown the ground beef, chorizo, and onion until beef and sausage is no longer pink. Add the jalapeno peppers and burrito seasoning and stir to blend. Stir in the refried beans and continue cooking, stirring, until hot and bubbly.
Spoon the hot filling mixture evenly over the tortilla layer. Sprinkle with the diced tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Top with the remaining tortilla strips then sprinkle with the cheese.
Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes, until cheese is melted and the casserole is bubbly.
You Might Also Like