- 1 1/2 to 2 pounds potatoes, thinly sliced, about 4 to 5 cups
- 2 cups diced ham
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red or green bell pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half or 1 cup milk and 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- salt, to taste
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese, optional
In a large saucepan, melt butter; add onion and celery and sauté until tender. Add bell pepper and sauté for 1 minute longer. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add half-and-half, stirring constantly. Add seasonings and salt, to taste. Continue cooking, stirring, until thickened. Add sliced potatoes and diced ham and stir to combine. Transfer mixture to the prepared baking dish. Cover tightly with foil and bake for 45 minutes. Remove foil and bake for about 10 minutes longer, or until potatoes are tender. If desired, sprinkle shredded cheese over the top of the casserole and bake for a few minutes longer, or until cheese is melted.
Serves 4 to 6.