- 1 pound frozen Southern style hash brown potatoes, thawed*
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 to 6 green onions
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup whole milk or half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
Butter a 1 to 1 1/2-quart casserole. Heat oven to 350°. Thaw the hash browns.
In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of the butter; add green onions and cook for 1 minute over medium-low heat. Add flour and stir to blend well. Gradually stir in the chicken broth and milk. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in salt, pepper, potatoes, and cheese. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
Put bread crumbs in a bowl. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon of butter; drizzle over bread crumbs and toss to blend. Sprinkle the buttered bread crumbs over the casserole. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and topping is nicely browned.