- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped, optional
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, 1 large bag
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- jalapeno pepper rings or diced jalapeno peppers
- 3 to 4 cups shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
- **Optional Toppings and Sauces**
- chopped cilantro
- sour cream
Heat oven to 375°. F.
Spread some of the beef and bean mixture on each chip and arrange the chips in a single layer on the large baking dish or ovenproof plate, or use smaller ovenproof plates or dishes. Sprinkle the layer with a little of the diced tomato, sliced green onions, and jalapeno peppers. Sprinkle each chip with some of the cheese and make another layer of chips. Repeat with the tomato, green onions, peppers, and top with more cheese. Bake for 8 to 12 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Makes enough for 6 to 8 people.