- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- oil or shortening for deep frying
- 1 pound hot dogs, about 10, or use 1 pound of cocktail hot dogs
- wooden skewers, popsicle sticks, or toothpicks for cocktail hot dogs
In a mixing bowl, combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and chili powder. In another bowl, beat the eggs with milk and the 1/4 cup of oil. Stir egg and milk mixture into dry ingredients and whisk together until batter is smooth.
Heat oil in the deep fryer to 360°.
Insert a wooden skewer or popsicle stick into each hot dog, to make a "handle" for the hot dogs.
Holding the stick or skewer, dip each hot dog into batter, turning to coat thoroughly and evenly.
Fry corn dogs in 2 or 3 batches, for about 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels or heavy brown paper.