- 3 1/2 cups finely chopped nectarines
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups raspberries, washed, mashed and pressed through a sieve (about 1/2 cup juice)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1 package (1.75 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon butter, optional
In a large stockpot or kettle, combine nectarines with lemon juice and raspberry juice. In a bowl or cup, combine the pectin with 1/4 cup sugar. Stir pectin mixture into the fruit and bring to a full boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in the remaining sugar and the butter, if using. Bring once again to a full rolling boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat and skim off any foam. Let stand for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle into the hot jars, leaving 1/4-inch headspace and wipe jar rims with a wet paper towel. Fit with lids and screw on the bands firmly. Place the jars in the canner on a rack and add more boiling water to at least 1 inch above the jars.
Bring to a boil, cover, and boil gently for 10 minutes.
Makes about 6 half-pint (8 ounce) jars.