Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 3 minutes
Total Time: 18 minutes
- 6 to 8 slices bacon
- 6 slices ciabatta bread or other thick crusty bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning or seasoned salt
- 1 1/2 cups milk, low fat is fine
- 1 cup shredded sharp or mild Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese or about 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard or similar gourmet mustard
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon hot sauce, such as Tabasco, Texas Pete's, etc.
- 8 to 12 ounces thinly sliced turkey breast
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
Toast the ciabatta bread and set aside.
In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in flour and Creole seasoning until blended and bubbly. Gradually stir in the milk. Cook, stirring, until the mixture begins to simmer. Simmer, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the cheeses, mustard, and hot sauce. Remove from heat. Taste and add more Creole seasoning or salt, as needed. Cover and keep warm.
Heat the broiler.
Arrange the toasted bread on a baking pan. Top each slice of bread with turkey, then arrange tomato slices over the turkey. Sprinkle with freshly ground pepper, then spoon cheese sauce over the tomatoes.
Put the open-faced sandwiches under the broiler and broil just until the cheese sauce begins to bubble and brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with bacon. Serve hot.
Serves 4 to 6.
More Sandwich Recipes
Ham and Cheese Subs
Recipe for Ham Monte Cristo Sandwich
Monte Cristo Sandwich with Turkey
Ham Sandwich Spreads
Ham or Turkey Sandwich Spreads
Corned Beef Melt
Eggplant and Mozzarella Sandwich
Turkey Sandwich Melt
Chicken Bacon Cheddar Melt
Turkey Sandwich with Cheese Sauce
Tuna Sandwich Recipe
Muffuletta Sub Sandwiches
Tomato Sandwich Recipe
Grilled Cheese Deluxe
French Toasted Ham Sandwiches
Roast Beef Poor Boy
Sandwich Recipes Index
Turkey Sandwich Recipes
Turkey Recipe Index