This Kentucky burgoo is a typical version, a chicken and beef stew with cabbage, potatoes, okra, and lima beans.
- 1 chicken, 3 to 4 pounds
- 1 1/2 pounds beef stew meat
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (about 29 ounces) tomato puree
- 12 small potatoes
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 medium head cabbage, finely chopped
- 3 cans (14.5 oz each) diced tomatoes
- 3 cans (12 to 15 oz each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 cup fresh sliced okra
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen butterbeans or lima beans
- 2 green peppers, finely chopped
- 2 to 4 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
Cook chicken and beef in chicken, beef broth, and water with coarsely ground pepper and cayenne pepper until chicken and meat are very tender, about 30 to 45 minutes. Remove bones, dice and shred chicken and meat and return to the liquid. Add tomato sauce, potatoes, onions, cabbage, tomatoes, carrots, corn, okra, lima beans, and green pepper. Season with a little of the salt and pepper and the Worcestershire sauce. Cook slowly for 2 to 3 hours, stirring from the bottom to keep from scorching.Taste and add salt, to taste. Add water, if necessary, to keep from sticking.
Serves 10 to 12.