Yield: Serves 6
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni or similar small pasta
- 5 1/2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mild Cheddar or Cheddar Jack cheese, divided
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons dry sherry
- 8 ounces chopped cooked lobster meat (from about 2 1-pound lobsters), or a combination of cooked shrimp, scallops, and lobster or crab meat
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
In a saucepan, melt 3 tablespoons of butter. Add the parsley and green onions and cook for about 1 minute. Stir in flour until well blended and bubbly. Stir in the milk and continue cooking, stirring constantly, until thickened. Whisk the egg in a small bowl or large cup and add about 1 cup of the hot mixture, whisking until blended. Return to the sauce and blend well. Add 1 cup of sharp Cheddar cheese to the sauce, along with about 1/2 cup of the mild Cheddar or Cheddar Jack and the salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Stir in the sherry. Stir into the drained macaroni then fold in the lobster.
Heat oven to 350°. Grease a 2-quart baking dish or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup of shredded cheese.
Melt the remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons of butter and mix with the bread crumbs until the crumbs are well soaked with the butter. Sprinkle evenly over the cheese layer.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until bubbly. Turn to a low broil and continue broiling just until browned, or for a minute or two, depending on the heat of your broiler.
Serves 4 to 6.
- Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Family Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
- Simple Macaroni and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Andouille Mac 'n Cheese
- Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
- Quick and Easy Nacho Macaroni and Cheese
- Macaroni and Cheese Bake