Large Photo of Macaroni and Cheese
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 6 to 8
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, about 2 cups
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/2 cups light cream or half-and-half
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard, or use a prepared Dijon mustard
- 3 cups shredded cheese, about two-thirds Cheddar and one-third American, divided (or a similar blend)
- 1 cup soft breadcrumbs* tossed with 2 tablespoons melted butter
Cook the macaroni following package directions; drain in a colander and rinse with hot water.
In a medium saucepan melt the 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat until hot and foamy; stir in the flour until bubbly. Add the milk and cream, along with the salt, pepper, and mustard. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in 2 cups of the cheese blend until melted. Add the drained macaroni and blend well. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining 1 cup of cheese and the buttery bread crumbs.
Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until bubbly and nicely browned.
*Make bread crumbs in the food processor using day-old bread or rolls.