I used whole wheat macaroni in this version, but regular macaroni, mini penne pasta, ditalini, or other similar pasta shapes would also work well.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 pepper, or to taste
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup light cream or half-and-half (or more milk)
- 2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs tossed with 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Cook macaroni following package directions. Drain in a colander and rinse with hot water; set aside.
- Butter a 2-quart baking dish. Heat oven to 350°.
- In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium-low heat. Stir flour into the butter until smooth and bubbly. Stir in the dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Gradually add milk and cream, stirring constantly. continue to cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add cheese and continue to cook and stir until melted.
- Combine the macaroni and the sauce and turn into the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with the buttered bread crumbs and bake for about 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and topping is lightly browned.
- Serves 6.
You Might Also Like
Simple Macaroni and Cheese
Perfect Macaroni and Cheese
Extra-Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Family Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese
Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Top 20 Macaroni and Cheese Recipes