Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 4 to 6
- 8 ounces wagon wheels or other small pasta shapes
- 1 to 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 12 to 16 ounces andouille sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 6 to 8 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 1/3 cups milk
- 3 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
Cook the pasta following package directions. Drain well in a colander and rinse with hot water. Set aside.
In a skillet over medium heat with just enough oil to coat the bottom, cook the sausage with bell pepper until lightly browned and bell pepper is softened. Add green onion and garlic and cook for about 2 minutes longer.
Remove sausage mixture to a plate or bowl. Add the butter to the same pan and heat over medium heat until melted and frothy. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Add Cajun seasoning and pepper. Gradually stir in the milk and cook, stirring, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in 2 cups of the cheese and cook, stirring, until melted. Spoon into the prepared baking dish. Top with the remaining cheese and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and cheese is melted.
Serves 4 to 6.
More Macaroni and Cheese Recipes
Perfect Macaroni and Cheese
Creamy Macaroni and Cheese
Family Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
Macaroni and Cheese
Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
Top 20 Macaroni and Cheese Recipes