- 8 ounces elbow macaroni, uncooked
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded smoked Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded or cubed American process cheese
- 1 cup soft fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
Cook macaroni in boiling salted water following the package directions. Drain and rinse; set aside.
In a large saucepan over medium-low heat, melt butter; add flour and stir until blended. Stir in salt, pepper, and mustard. Gradually stir in the milk and continue cooking , stirring, until mixture is thickened. Stir in cheeses until melted and smooth. Add the macaroni and stir to blend. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
Combine bread crumbs and melted butter, tossing to coat well; sprinkle over the macaroni mixture. Lightly sprinkle with paprika.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until browned and bubbly.
Serves 6 to 8.
- Classic Baked Macaroni and Cheese
- Family Favorite Macaroni and Cheese
- Simple Macaroni and Cheese
- Slow Cooker Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Beer and Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- Macaroni and Cheese with Bacon
- Quick and Easy Nacho Macaroni and Cheese
- Macaroni and Cheese Bake