Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 8 ounces elbow macaroni
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/2 cup green jalapeno salsa
- 1 can (4 ounces) mild chopped green chile peppers
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely chopped jalapeno peppers, canned or fresh, optional
- 8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, about 2 cups
- salt, to taste
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped cilantro, optional
- 1 cup fresh finely ground bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter
Cook macaroni in boiling salted water following package directions. Drain and rinse well.
In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the 4 tablespoons of butter. Stir in flour and pepper until well blended and bubbly. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Stir in salsa, chile peppers, and cheese. Cook, stirring, until cheese is melted. Taste and add salt, as needed. Combine with the drained macaroni; stir in cilantro, if using. Spoon into the prepared baking dish.
Combine 2 tablespoons melted butter with the bread crumbs and sprinkle over the macaroni and cheese. Sprinkle lightly with paprika.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly.
Serves 4 to 6.