- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 slices bread, crumbled
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 clove garlic, smashed, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and minced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large can (28 to 36 ounces total) crushed Italian tomatoes
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 16 ounces thin spaghetti
- Parmesan cheese
Make meatballs. In a medium bowl, beat eggs lightly; add milk and bread and let stand for about 5 minutes. Add ground beef, onion, parsley, garlic, salt, and pepper; mix gently until well blended. Shape into about 24 meatballs, about 1 1/2 inches in diameter. Place meatballs in a generously greased large shallow baking pan. Bake meatballs at 450° for 25 minutes.
In a Dutch oven, in hot oil over medium heat, sauté onion until tender and just begins to turn golden. Add remaining sauce ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning, adding more salt, if necessary. Add meatballs; cover and simmer 50 to 60 minutes longer, stirring from time to time.
Cook spaghetti according to package directions; drain.
Serve spaghetti topped with meatballs in sauce; sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese.
Spaghetti and meatballs serves 6.