- 1 pound lean ground beef (chuck or round)
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs, plain
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 teaspoon cornstarch
- dash ground allspice
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup chili sauce
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes or equivalent base or granules
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
In a saucepan whisk the cornstarch and water. Add the bouillon cubes or base, red wine, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and 1/8 teaspoon of pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until thickened.
Combine meatballs and sauce in a chafing dish or slow cooker and keep warm while serving.
Makes about 36 appetizer meatballs.