- 1 pound lean or extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage (or remove from casings)
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3 medium cloves garlic
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons water, or as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Broil the meatballs about 8 inches from the heat source for about 10 minutes. Turn and broil for 10 minutes longer.
Put the meatballs in a large saucepan and cover with your favorite pasta sauce, homemade or purchased. Cover and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes.
Serves 6 (about 18 to 24 large meatballs).