Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: Makes About 4 Dozen Meatballs
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/3 cup plain fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 2/3 cup apricot preserves, or peach preserves
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili-garlic paste or about 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
Line a large jelly roll pan or roasting pan with foil. Spray a cooling rack with nonstick cooking spray and place in the pan.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, bread crumbs, salt, garlic powder, ginger, and egg; mix until well blended. Shape the ground beef mixture into 1-inch meatballs.
Arrange the meatballs on the rack. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the meatballs are no longer pink inside. Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, combine the preserves, soy sauce, peanut butter, sesame oil, vinegar, and chili-garlic paste. Cook, stirring occasionally, until hot. Add the meatballs and bell pepper strips. Cover and cook until pepper strips are just tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.