Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
Yield: Serves 6
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 small cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground bulk sausage
- 1 1/2 cups saltine cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 cup ketchup or chili sauce
- 1 scant teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
Combine the chopped onion, celery, and garlic. Lightly beat the egg.
Combine the beef and sausage and crumbs until well blended. Mix in the chopped vegetable mixture, the egg, milk, ketchup or chili sauce, and salt and pepper. Using hands, mix ingredients until blended.
Pack into the loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Carefully pour off excess grease and top with the tomato sauce.
Tip: Using oven mitts, I put a cake cooling rack over the top of the pan to keep the meatloaf in the pan as I pour off the grease.
Return the loaf to the oven and bake for 20 minutes longer. Let rest for 10 minutes and remove to a platter, if desired. Serve with mashed potatoes or baked potatoes and your favorite vegetables.