Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
- 2 pounds 85% to 90% lean ground beef
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 heaping teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend of cheeses, with or without peppers in the mixture
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, beans, cilantro or parsley, garlic powder, cumin, onion, chili powder, salt, pepper, egg, bread crumbs, and milk. Gently mix to combine thoroughly.
On an 18-inch length of foil, pat the meat mixture out into a 10- x 12-inch rectangle. Spread the cheese over the rectangle to within 1/2 inch of the edges. Carefully roll up and pinch all seams together.
Place in the baking dish and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
If desired, spoon a little salsa over the loaf about 5 minutes before it's done.
Serve with cold or warm salsa, rice or potatoes, and corn or your favorite side vegetable.
Serves 6 to 8.