Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or 1 pound lean
- ground beef and 1/2 pound ground pork
- 3/4 cup oats, quick or old-fashioned
- 1/2 cup chili sauce or ketchup, divided
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons water or milk
In a large bowl, mix ground beef or beef and pork mixture, oats, 1/4 cup of the chili sauce or ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, salt, beaten egg, celery and onion mixture, and the water or milk. In a 13x9-inch baking pan, shape meat mixture into a 9x5-inch loaf. Bake at 375° for 1 hour. spread the ketchup over the top and bake for about 10 to 15 minutes longer. Using 2 spatulas, carefully move meat loaf to a serving plate and slice.
Serves 6 to 8.