- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 1 rib celery, finely chopped
- 6 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork or more ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- dash ground cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2/3 cup fresh finely ground bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup ketchup plus 3 tablespoons for topping
- 1/4 cup milk
In a skillet or saucepan, melt the butter with the olive oil. Saute the grated carrot and the celery until softened. Add green onions and garlic and saute for 1 minute longer.
In a large bowl with hands or low speed of a heavy duty electric mixer, combine the beef, pork, salt, peppers, and spices, bread crumbs, egg, 1/2 cup of ketchup, and the milk. Stir in the sauteed vegetables until well blended.
Pack into the prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour. Spread the remaining 3 tablespoons of ketchup over the top of the loaf and bake for 15 minutes longer. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.