- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup soft fine bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup ketchup (plus more for topping, if desired)
- 2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard or Creole mustard
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Cajun or Creole seasoning, or similar seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl; work together with hands until thoroughly blended. Pack into a meatloaf pan or a 9x5x3-inch loaf pan and bake for 1 hour.
If desired, spread about 1/2 cup of ketchup over the top of the loaf about 15 minutes before the meat loaf is done.