Prep Time: 12 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 12 minutes
- 4 strips lean bacon
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar, optional
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasonings
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk or whole milk
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
Heat oven to 350°. Line a baking pan with foil and lightly oil the foil or spray with nonstick cooking spray.
In a large bowl, combine the ground beef, pork, onion, bell pepper, bread crumbs, egg, cheese, Cajun seasonings, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, and milk. Put the mixture on the prepared foil-lined baking pan and shape into a loaf.
Spread barbecue sauce over the loaf and arrange the bacon strips over the top.
Bake until bacon is crispy and meat loaf is firm, about 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before slicing or moving to a serving platter.