- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef
- 1/2 pound Italian sausage, casings removed, about 2 to 3 links
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup soft fine bread crumbs
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes, divided
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 green or red sweet bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried leaf basil
- 1 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 cup fresh shredded Parmesan cheese
Combine beef, sausage, egg, and bread crumbs in a large mixing bowl.
Chop the tomatoes or pulse in a food processor. Put half of the tomatoes into the meat mixture, along with chopped onion, garlic, and bell pepper. Add the basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and cheese. Mix until blended. Pack into the loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Top with remaining diced tomatoes and bake for about 15 to 20 minutes longer.
Let rest for a few minutes; transfer to a platter and slice.