Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 50 minutes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, coarsely chopped or sliced
- 1/2 green bell pepper, coarsely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup fine dry bread crumbs
Combine the beef and turkey in a large bowl with the eggs. In a food processor, combine the carrot, onion, garlic, and green pepper. Process until finely chopped. In a large skillet, over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the finely chopped vegetables and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Meanwhile, process the mushrooms until finely chopped. Add to the vegetables and continue cooking for 1 minute. Combine the ketchup with mustard, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, brown sugar, red pepper, salt, and black pepper. Put about 3/4 of the ketchup mixture in with the meat mixture, along with bread crumbs. Add the vegetables and mushrooms and mix until well blended.
Pack the mixture in a loaf pan or shape into a free-form loaf in the rectangular baking pan.
Bake the meatloaf for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Carefully pour off any excess grease. Spread remaining ketchup mixture over the loaf and continue cooking for 15 minutes.