Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 25 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 2 tablespoons wheat germ
- 3 small tart apples, peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- cinnamon and sugar mixture for topping
In a mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, apple juice concentrate, and buttermilk or sour milk.
Stir flour mixture and wheat germ into the egg mixture until dry ingredients are just moistened. Gently stir in about 2/3 of the chopped apples and chopped walnuts or pecans.
Spoon batter into prepared muffins cups, filling each about 2/3 full. Top muffins with reserved chopped apple and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Bake apple muffins at 375° for about 20 to 25 minutes, or until tops spring back when pressed lightly with fingertip. Cool for 5 minutes in pan on a rack. Turn apple muffins out onto rack to cool completely.
Makes 12 apple muffins.