- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 bunch (6 to 8) green onions, chopped
- 2 to 4 teaspoons chopped sweet green and/or red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley or 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 6 dozen oysters, drain and reserve liquid (about 2 to 3 quarts)
- 12 to 16 3-inch frozen unbaked pastry shells, partially baked
In a large heavy saucepan make a roux. Combine flour, oil, and butter; cook over medium heat, stirring until golden brown. Add celery, green onions, bell pepper, onion, garlic, and parsley. Saute until vegetables are tender. Add salt, pepper and reserved oyster liquid. Cook slowly until very thick.
Drain oysters on paper towels and cut in half. Add to mixture and simmer 5 minutes or until edges curl.
If oysters thin mixture too much, remove them with slotted spoon and reduce liquid over high heat until it thickens. Return oysters to sauce.
Let cool before filling partially baked pastry shells. Bake in a preheated 300° oven 20 minutes.
Makes about 1 dozen.
You Might Also Like