Yield: Serves 8
- 6 to 7 ounces macaroni, about 1 1/2 cups, uncooked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 to 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 3 medium cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup corn kernels, canned or frozen
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained, rinsed
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar cheese
- salt, to taste
- finely chopped cilantro and more shredded cheese, if desired, for garnish
In a large saute pan or Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef and onion and cook, breaking up beef, until the beef is no longer pink and the onions are lightly browned. Add the bell pepper and garlic and cook for a few minutes longer.
Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, chili powder, cumin, cayenn and black peppers, corn, and the drained and rinsed beans. Bring to a simmer. Simmer for 15 minutes. Add the drained macaroni and cheese. Continue cooking, stirring, until cheese is melted and mixture is hot. Add salt, to taste. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle with more cheese and chopped cilantro, if desired.
Serve with bread, rolls, or cornbread and a salad.
Makes about 8 servings.
Quick and Easy Nacho Macaroni and Cheese
Nacho cheese soup makes this macaroni and cheese extra-easy and truly delicious. Serve this macaroni and cheese with spicy sausages or hot dogs and a salad or sliced tomatoes for a tasty and satisfying everyday meal.
Ziti Casserole With Ground Beef and Mushrooms
Make this pasta casserole with macaroni or ziti pasta, or use another large tubular pasta. Serve this delicious pasta bake with a tossed salad and garlic bread for a perfect weekday family meal.
Beef and Macaroni Bake
This macaroni and ground beef casserole is flavored with Cajun seasonings, along with bell peppers, garlic, and Cheddar cheese.
Tex-Mex Macaroni and Ground Beef Casserole
This is a simple mixture of macaroni, nacho cheese soup, cheese, taco seasonings, and ground beef. Make this tasty casserole with macaroni or a penne pasta, and serve with biscuits or cornbread.