Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 12 ounces perciatelli or bucatini
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk, low fat is fine
- pinch nutmeg
- scant teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
- 8 ounces (2 cups) sharp Cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided
- 1 cup soft fresh bread crumbs
Heat oven to 350°. Lightly butter a 2- to 2 1/2-quart baking dish or spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Blend in the flour until smooth and bubbly. Stir in the nutmeg, salt, and peppers. Gradually stir in milk. Cook, stirring, until thickened.
Reserve about 3/4 cup of Cheddar cheese and 3 tablespoons of the Pecorino Romano for topping. Add the remaining cheese to the sauce mixture and cook, stirring, just until cheese is melted. Combine the cheese saice with the drained pasta. Transfer to the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the reserved cheese over the pasta mixture.
Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and toss with the soft bread crumbs. Sprinkle over the cheese layer. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Serves 6 to 8.
- Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese
- Jalapeno Macaroni and Cheese
- Macaroni and Cheese With Bacon
- Macaroni and Cheese With Chicken Sausage
- Penne With Leeks, Fontina, and Cheddar
- Easy Chicken and Mini Penne Casserole