I used orecchiette pasta in this dish, but shells or cavatelli would work well, or use a similar pasta shape.
For a meat free pasta dish, replace the diced ham with sliced fresh mushrooms.
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
Yield: Serves 4
- 8 ounces orecchiette pasta, cavatelli, or shells
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 10 ounces frozen petite peas
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese plus more for serving
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley, divided
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cook the pasta in a large pot following package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly in a colander and rinse under hot water. Return the pasta to the pot and set aside.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the diced ham and cook, stirring frequently, until lightly browned. Add the cream and peas. Bring the mixture to a simmer. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, or just until the peas are tender. Add 3/4 cup of Parmesan cheese and cook, stirring, until melted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in about half of the chopped parsley.
- Pour the sauce mixture over the pasta and toss to coat thoroughly. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl and sprinkle with the remaining chopped parsley.
- Serve hot and pass the Parmesan cheese.
- Serves 4.
Variation: For a meat free version of this dish, cook the pasta as above. Omit the diced ham and add 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms to the butter in the saucepan. Saute until tender. Add the cream and peas and continue with the remaining recipe steps.
You Might Also Like
Orecchiette With Ham, Mushrooms, and Spinach
This pasta dish is made with orecchiette or bowties, along with spinach, sliced mushrooms, and a creamy sauce with a little chicken broth and white wine.
Creamy Pasta With Ham and Asparagus
This is a simple and flavorful pasta dish to enjoy with fresh spring asparagus. If you're looking for a quick, satisfying meal, this recipe is an excellent choice. Serve this tasty pasta dish with a tossed salad and crusty rolls.
Chicken, Cheddar, and Bacon Casserole
This hearty pasta and chicken casserole is flavored with bacon, green onions, peas, and two cheeses. This is a great everyday family meal, or bake it and take it along to a potluck event.
Butternut Squash and Pasta with Sage
Browned butter, butternut squash, and sage flavor this simple, tasty pasta dish. Feel free to add a little extra protein with some cooked white beans or baby lima beans. Use rombi, pappardelle, farfalle, or a similar flat or ruffled pasta.