- 10 cups finely chopped unpeeled pickling cucumbers (approximately 3 1/2 to 4 pounds of pickling cucumbers)
- 4 cups finely chopped red bell pepper, about 4 large peppers
- 3 cups finely chopped green bell pepper, about 2 to 3 large peppers
- 1 cup finely chopped celery, about 4 large ribs
- 1 cup finely chopped peeled onion, about 2 medium onions
- 1/2 cup pickling salt
- 3 1/2 cups white vinegar
- 2 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons mustard seeds
- 2 tablespoons celery seeds
Put chopped vegetables in a large stainless steel or enamel-lined pot. Stir in the salt, cover, and let stand at room temperature for 4 hours.
Put the vegetables in a large colander and drain. Rinse with cold water. Using your hands, squeeze out excess liquids.
Rinse out the pot you used for the vegetables. In the pot, combine the vinegar, sugar, mustard seeds, and celery seeds. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the drained vegetables and stir to blend. Bring back to a full boil; reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
Fill prepared jars, leaving a 1/2-inch headspace. Fit lids on jars and screw bands down to fingertip tightness. Process in a boiling water bath canner with water at least 1 inch above the jars for 10 minutes. Turn off heat, remove the canner cover, and wait 5 minutes before removing jars. See Preparing Jars for Canning and Boiling Water Bath Processing.
Makes 12 half-pint jars or about 6 pint jars.