- 4 pluots or 4 to 5 plums, about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled and pitted
- 3/4 cup butter (12 tablespoons), softened
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar mixed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon, for topping
Slice peeled pluots or plums thinly and toss in a bowl with 1/4 cup of the sugar; set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and 1 cup of sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after eacy addition. Beat in the vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt. Slowly blend in the dry ingredients until batter is smooth. The batter will be thick. Spread the batter in the prepared baking pan. Arrange the sliced pluots or plums all around in a concentric circle, overlapping slightly. Fill in gaps and overlap with any leftover slices of fruit. Sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon mixture evenly over the fruit. Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes to 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a toothpick or cake tester inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean.