Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 8 Servings
- 2 pounds small white potatoes, scrubbed and peeled, if desired, cut in 1/2-inch chunks
- 8 to 12 ounces andouille sausage, sliced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, red or green, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 1/4 cups milk
- 6 ounces shredded Cheddar or Cheddar Jack blend cheese, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun spice blend
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Put potato chunks in a medium saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and continue cooking for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Drain and set aside.
Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the sausage, onion, and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until the onion is soft. Transfer the vegetables to a plate and set aside.
In the same saucepan over medium-low heat, melt 4 tablespoons of butter. Add the flour and cook, stirring, until smooth and bubbly. Stir in the milk and cook until thickened. Add about 1 cup of the cheese, along with the spice blend, salt, and pepper. Cook until cheese is melted and the mixture is smooth.
Combine the sauce with the potatoes and the sausage mixture. Stir gently to blend. Transfer to the baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the top.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
Serves 6 to 8.