- 2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, peeled, cut in 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 to 16 ounces chicken sausage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup soft fresh bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Put potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for about10 to 12 minutes, or until just tender. Drain well. Set aside with cover ajar to let steam escape.
In a small skillet with olive oil over medium heat, brown the sausage with onion until onion is tender. Set aside.
In a saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until well blended. Stir in milk and add salt and pepper. Cook, stirring, until the sauce has thickened. Stir in cheese until melted.
Gently stir potatoes into the sauce, along with the sausage and onions. Transfer to the baking dish. Toss bread crumbs with 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle the crumbs over the top of the casserole.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.
Serves 4 to 6.